Spring has sprung, and summer is just around the corner. If you are already sweating at the thought of high energy bills, keep cool and follow these ten tips from the air conditioning experts at Devine Bros.
- Change your air filters. Air filters should be changed once per month to prevent extra wear-and-tear on your HVAC system.
- Switch on your ceiling fans. Setting your ceiling fan blades to rotate counterclockwise can create a cool, gentle breeze throughout your home.
- Schedule an A/C tune up. A professional tune-up can lower your energy bills, extend the lifespan of your system, and improve cooling capacity.
- Control your humidity levels. High humidity makes the air feel warmer than it really is. Investing in a dehumidifier can help you save on air conditioning costs.
- Invest in a programmable thermostat. Save money by having your air conditioner automatically turn off when it isn’t needed – such as when the house is empty.
- Upgrade to Energy Star. A brand new Energy Star cooling system can offer significant energy savings, if it is properly installed by a trained technician.
- Seek more shade. We seek shade when it’s hot outside – the same thought process applies inside the home too. Closing your blinds, installing an awning, or even planting a tree can all help keep your house cool.
- Don’t add more heat. If your home is already hot, the last thing you want to do is add more heat by cooking in the oven or using your clothes dryer.
- Lay Low. Warm air rises, so hanging out on the first floor of your home is a better option than upstairs on hot days. The basement is even better, so long as it’s not too humid (refer to point #4).
- Seal air leaks. Air leaks around your windows and doors can cause cold air to exit your home, and hot air to enter it. Luckily, these leaks can be sealed quickly using caulk or weatherstripping.
Residents of Fairfield County, Connecticut can trust the air conditioning experts at Devine Bros. to keep them cool this summer. Our home cooling services include professional A/C installations, repairs, replacements, tune-ups, and more. If you live in Norwalk, Westport, New Canaan, or the surrounding area, schedule an appointment with one of our trained technicians by calling (203) 866-4421.