Tending to your garden can be time-consuming — but did you know that mulch can make it a little bit easier?
Mulch is made up of nutrient rich material that is spread throughout your garden to help enrich the soil. But there are so many other great reasons to utilize it in your garden.
- Organic Matter: Using mulch adds a significant amount of organic matter to your soil. This is important because it helps keep your garden healthy and makes it more resistant to disease and pests.
- Nutrients: Keep your garden all natural. Mulch provides it with valuable nutrients that release slowly into the soil. It also helps prevent vitamin loss in your plants.
- Hydration: Mulched soil retains 70-percent more water than unmulched soil. It will keep your soil hydrated longer and prevent evaporation from the sun.
- Insulation: Mulch insulates soil all year round. It will keep plants roots cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
- Weeds: By blocking the sunlight, mulch actually minimizes the growth of weeds. Therefore they won’t be competing for nutrients with your plants. The few weeds that do make it to the surface will be much easier to remove.
- Convenience: For more reasons than one, mulched gardens are much more convenient. You’ll spend less time having to water them and you won’t have to spend money on pest control or fertilizers.
Could your garden and lawn could use some “Devine” intervention? If you live in Norwalk, Westport, or New Canaan, look no further than Devine Bros. for all of your landscaping needs. We have Fairfield County’s largest selection of landscaping supplies, all available for pickup or delivery. From mulch to brick to flagstone and concrete, we truly have it all! Contact us today at 203-866-4421.