In the stifling summer heat, we live and die by our air conditioners. Whether you’re utilizing central air or a window air conditioner, there’s no denying the importance of a working cooling system. However, not all air conditioners are created equal. In order to find the perfect cooling system for your home, it is important to consider these five factors:
- Window Unit or Central Air: How many rooms are you looking to cool? Window unit air conditioners are a great solution if you’re looking to cool one or two rooms, while central air is best for cooling an entire home.
- Cooling Capacity: This is measured in British Thermal Units (BTUs). Find an air conditioner with a BTU level that is designed for your space.
- If your BTU level is too low, the unit will run continuously in an effort to cool the large space. This will cause your energy bills to skyrocket.
- If your BTU level is too high, the unit will turn off before the space is fully cooled and dehumidified. This will cause inconsistent temperatures throughout the room.
- Energy Efficiency: While you’re shopping, search for a unit with an Energy Star certification. These air conditioners use 10 percent less energy than standard models. In addition, be aware of the Energy Efficiency Ration (EER) measurement. This tells you the how many BTUs are used per watt of power. The higher the EER, the more efficient the unit.
- Electrical Installations: Be sure your electrical system can support your chosen air conditioner. The electrical requirements for your cooling system will be listed in the specifications. More powerful air conditioners may require a 220-volt circuit. If you do not have one of these in your home, you a licensed technician can install one for you.
- Maintenance Requirements: Air conditioning units require maintenance every now and again to ensure they stay in tip top condition. Over time, these units can accumulate dust, dirt, and debris. This can clog the filters and hinder the unit’s effectiveness. Be sure to clean your cooling system once a year. For window units: wash the air filter with soap and water. For central air: schedule regular professional tune-ups.
As the temperatures rise, trust the air conditioning experts at Devine Bros. to keep you cool this summer. Our home cooling services include professional air conditioner installations, repairs, replacements, tune-ups, and more. If you live in Norwalk, Westport, New Canaan, or the surrounding area, contact us to schedule an appointment with one of our trained technicians by calling (203) 866-4421.