Connecticut homeowners face a choice each winter: freeze, or hand over a small fortune to their energy provider. Not anymore! Follow these six home heating hacks from Devine Bros., and you will stay cozy all winter long without breaking the bank:
1. Dial down the thermostat. It’s no secret that turning down the thermostat can save you energy, but you may be surprised by how much. Just two degrees can cut your heating bill by up to 10%, all while having minimal effect on your comfort.
2. Seal drafty windows and doors. Drafty areas provide an easy path for warm air to escape your home, and cold air to enter it. Most air leaks can be sealed using a caulking gun or weatherstripping.
3. Check your humidity levels. Dry winter air can make the temperature feel colder than it actually is. Investing a portable humidifier can make your home feel more comfortable without spiking your heating bill.
4. Switch your ceiling fan blades. Most ceiling fans can spin in either direction. During the winter months, set your blades to rotate clockwise to push warm air down into the room.
5. Utilize alternative heat sources. Your furnace isn’t the only source of heat in your home. Some other (free) ways to add warmth include:
- Keeping your curtains open during the daytime.
- Opening your oven door after cooking.
- Opening your bathroom door after a hot shower.
6. Maintain your heating system. A little bit of maintenance can go a long way for your furnace’s energy efficiency. For best results, homeowners should replace their air filters every month and schedule one professional tune-up per year.
Devine Bros. offers professional home heating services to Fairfield County, Connecticut. Some of our services include heating oil delivery, furnace installations, repairs, and tune-ups. If you live in Norwalk, Westport, or New Canaan, give us a call at (203) 866-4421.